09 July 2010

Book Buyers Anonymous Book Buying Ban



Okay, so I have a tiny problem when it comes to buying books. Okay, okay if I'm going to do this the correct way I should be totally honest with you and myself. I have a HUGE, major problem when it comes to buying books. I can be good for a while here and there - Taking a breather from buying books. I mean it takes will power but once I get past the first week or two without buying a book it becomes easier, which is what I need to do right now. My TBR pile is just OUT.OF.CONTROL! lol The one good thing about this is that I know I'm far from alone in not only my problem but the struggles to control it. See a pretty cover, hear great things about a new book or one that's coming out and I want! I know I'm not alone... far, far from alone.

So, I'm starting out by not buying anything in July and I know I'm starting this a little late, but I haven't purchased anything this month. Everything that's arrived here was ordered before I started this. I hope to do the same thing for August as well, then Sept we'll see how things go and maybe I'll add September into this too. I need to thank my friend Natalie over at Mindful Musings for her post about this and making me realize that I need to try to better control my addiction for awhile. I'll be there to cheer her on and anyone else who's joined in or will be joining in, in the quest to read what we already have for awhile.

With this Book Buying Ban we each get to set up some rules for ourselves. I liked many that I saw in Natalie's, so I'm going to take some of hers and add in some of my own. So here go my rules.

1) No buying books that will cost over $3. That includes the price of shipping. So unless there's a really great deal at the Book Depository (I can get free shipping), I probably won't be able to buy any. I won't be looking, so I doubt I'll be buying anything. Maybe a Kindle book... but again the $3 rule applies.

2) Trading books is ok, because technically, I'm not increasing the amount of books I own. It's staying the same.

3) Contests, promotions, and review requests are fair game, because I'm not paying for the books.

4) I can use Gift Cards, because I'm not spending any money myself. Though, sadly I don't have any of these at the moment.

5) Anything that I have on preorder doesn't count as those have been purchased weeks if not months ago. The only thing I'm allowing myself to preorder is anything from September on and at this point I'm not even looking to preorder anything other then what's already done.

I'd you'd like to join, please visit here to learn more and sign up.

My name is Lisa and I may be a proud Bibliophile, but I'm also addicted to buying books.....

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

4 comments:

  1. Lol! We can do this. It's just going to be...difficult. I think I'm hyperventilating....now where's that paper bag...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started a buying ban myself in January, with pretty much the same rules. I think you'll find it's not as hard as it seems.

    The only things I've bought new so far are the Percy Jackson series--but that was for my other half and at a really good discount and some were with a gift card--and a book that was published by a member of our fossil club for my son at the debut/signing event--and that was at a big discount also.

    I do let myself buy books at yard sales where they are usually a dime or a quarter. I've gotten a couple of deals where I've gotten a huge box for a dollar or two. I've also learned I can really be picky when books reach the 50 cent price. haha So needless to say my TBR pile has still grown and not shrunk, but I'm having fun and reading more than I ever have before!

    Anyways...I believe you can do it! I am! Oh, and stay out of bookstores--I went for a coffee ONLY at Borders a couple of weeks ago and ended up browsing the whole store. Too much temptation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember that night we talked about this and I said "Wow, great idea. I need to do that too!"...FAILED! I preordered 4 books that night..but technically I blame that on you because you had just mentioned the books you had preordered LOL. I PANICKED!! But then I bought a few...4 or 5..others. :( I am weak!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck to you all - you have all my support!

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love