20 June 2013

Review: One Tiny Secret By: Adam Kunz

Title: One Tiny Secret
Author: Adam Kunz
Publisher: C.A. Kunz LLC, 413 Pages (May 16th, 2013)
Add to: Goodreads
Order here: Amazon, Barnes and Noble

Synopsis: **Mature Content Warning** Recommended for 17+ due to language, violence, and sexual content.

Just one tiny secret has the potential to ruin everything.

Being the daughter of the sheriff in a small town like Holden Ridge means that eighteen-year-old Danielle “Dani” Marks’ life is under constant surveillance. She’s made a habit of staying under the radar by being a floater among social circles at school, which has kept her out of trouble—until now.

After a missing persons case stirs up the entire town, Dani finds herself caught right in the middle of the scandal. When she’s labeled a possible suspect, things quickly go from bad to worse. The sudden return of her old flame, Parker Reed, manages to make her whole situation even more complicated.

When an elusive unknown person begins to blackmail Dani by threatening to reveal her deepest secrets, Dani refuses to play along. That is, until the person’s actions take a violent turn. Holden Ridge begins to lose its sense of quaint town security, and Dani is caught in a deadly game of cat and mouse.

Who can she trust when anyone around her could be a suspect?

One thing’s for certain though: Never underestimate the power of one tiny secret.

Review: 4 Stars - One Tiny Secret by debut author Adam Kunz is an intense, edge of your seat thrill ride of a book. The story will keep readers guessing right up until almost the very end.

Eighteen year old senior Danielle and her father live in a small town of Holden Ridge. She tries to stay out of trouble more than most because her father just so happens to also be the town sheriff. When Dani helps promote the annual invite only Halloween party, she goes out of her way to keep the event from her father.

It’s when people from her past start showing up at the party and her best friend who lives next door comes back into her life that a chain of events begins that she, nor I as the reader, could have seen coming.

What frustrated me about Dani was parts of the relationship she had with her father. It was more him than her, and how he failed to believe her when something was very wrong. While Dani’s claims were hard to believe, isn't your parent(s) supposed to be the one person who SHOULD believe you when you’re in danger or trouble? She wasn't continually in trouble to have such a drastic reaction to the events that unfolded.

Parker is one of the returning people in Dani’s life. They have history and issues that are going to further complicate the trouble ahead. Parker had moments where I loved him. Then there were moments when he was what felt like the typical guy. The two have chemistry, there’s no doubt about it but it puts extra strain on Dani and makes her choices that much more important.

Without giving too much away, One Tiny Secret has a chill factor to it. In my opinion it reminded me of Pretty Little Liars, Scream and I Know What You Did Last Summer. As a huge fan of all three, especially Pretty Little Liars I was hooked by the synopsis alone. It’s pretty suspense- filled tension that grips as you can’t  turn the pages fast enough, and when I felt I was reading too quickly I had to force myself to slow down.

It’s a bit gory which was perfect for the events that unfold around our main character and her friends. Kunz leaves no stone unturned for an almost perfect mystery. The romance between Dani and Parker wasn't overwhelming and didn't take away from the overall plot of the story. It was there in bits and pieces as they dealt with the bigger issue at hand… Who was “Unknown” and what did they want with Dani? For me, their relationship somewhat rubbed me the wrong way. Parker was the typical guy and the two had me frustrated over their actions a couple of times. To be honest that’s the part that had me questioning my rating of 4 vs. 5 stars. Even as I somewhat figured out who was behind the terror, it wasn't until almost the big reveal so I was still shocked that I had guessed correctly.

In the end One Tiny Secret kept me up reading late into the night. It had me jumping when a message came through on my phone and when I heard bumps in the night. Kunz did a brilliant job crafting suspense and terror for his characters and the reader. I highly recommend this title for any reader who likes a strong story with a high chill factor. I’m looking forward to see what Kunz writes next and I hope it’s another thrilling story. Enjoy!

FTC Disclaimer: I did NOT pay for this book, nor have I been compensated at all in any way or means for reading and writing this HONEST review.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love