19 September 2013

Title: Never Bite A Boy On The First Date
Author: Tamara Summers
Publisher: Harper Collins Children’s Books, 272 pages, (February 1st 2010)
From: purchased from The Works bookstore
Format: paperback
Add to: Goodreads
Order online here: Amazon, Barnes and Noble, The Book Depository, Amazon UK

Synopsis: I've got a few issues: I'm a vampire now. One of my classmates was found dead, with telltale fang marks. I didn't do it! (really!) Nobody believes me, so . . . I'm going to have to find the real killer. I've already got three suspects. (three very cute suspects.) One more problem: I am seriously falling for one of them . . . but what if he's the killer?

Review: 3 stars - Tamara Summers uses a nice mix of traditional and modern vampire mythology in this book- sun doesn’t burn the vampires but is uncomfortable for them, moonlight re-energises them, they can’t be seen in mirrors but their clothes can. This is something I’ve often wondered about with vampire stories. Most of the time vampires in books/films are completely invisible in a mirror including their clothes so to make a point of this was great for me to read.

The story starts of with vampire Kira November and her family arriving at school one day and finding a crime scene and one of the high school jocks Tex Harrison dead. Due to an indiscretion in Kira’s past her family think she’s the prime suspect. Having protested her innocence, she is tasked to find out who the real murderer is. Her suspicions focus on 3 hot guys- the quiet sheriff’s son Rowan, swim team star Milo and a dark and mysterious new boy Daniel. All of whom are acting suspiciously but who is the real killer?

Never bite a boy on the first date started off slow for me and only picked up pace half way through. You can however imagine someone going through the same process as Kira did in the quest to prove her innocence. And I think this is why the earlier part of the book and the back stories need to be explained.
With a few background storylines running throughout the book, you are kept on your toes as to what will happen next and as to whether there may be a twist in the tale.

The book has a slightly unexpected ending. I had a suspicion of who the murderer was throughout the book, but was keeping my options open and not naming him or her.

I wish this book was part of a series. Although Kira’s character annoyed me at times, I liked the other characters in the story. Wilhelm and Olympia (vampire mum and dad) although they don’t play a huge part in the story, they’re traditional vampires. They sleep during the day and are awake at night. Wilhelm can even turn into a bat. Zach (Kira’s brother) is the usual angsty teenager who has more than one reason to annoy Kira (Please read the book for more details). Milo and Daniel are the guy candy in this book, and I would love to hear more about both of them.

Definitely would be a good read for a younger reader. Harper Collins state 11 plus on the book so the vampire puns and jokes were all one I’d heard before at double the recommended reader age.

Recommended if you like Twilight, House of Night and The Morganville Vampires.


Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love