19 December 2013

Review - New Girl By: Paige Harbison

Title: New Girl
Author: Paige Harbison
Publisher: Harlequin Teen, 320 pages, January 31st 2012.
From: Bought from The Works bookstore
Format: Paperback
Add to: Goodreads

Synopsis: Welcome to Manderley Academy

I hadn't wanted to go, but my parents were so excited... So here I am, the new girl at Manderley, a true fish out of water. But mine's not the name on everyone's lips. Oh, no.

It's Becca Normandy they can't stop talking about. Perfect, beautiful Becca. She went missing at the end of last year, leaving a spot open at Manderley— the spot that I got. And everyone acts like it's my fault that infallible, beloved Becca is gone and has been replaced by not perfect, completely fallible, unknown Me.

Then, there's the name on my lips— Max Holloway. Becca's ex. The one boy I should avoid, but can't. Thing is, it seems like he wants me, too. But the memory of Becca is always between us. And as much as I'm starting to like it at Manderley, I can't help but think she's out there, somewhere, watching me take her place.

Waiting to take it back

Review: 4 stars - I had seen this book in work for a few weeks and kept picking it up and putting it back down. I decided to treat myself as an early Christmas present and I wasn’t disappointed.

First off, i’m going to mention the UK edition cover; it’s brilliant. The back cover especially is my favourite thing about this book. It’s like a notice board with raised pins and paperclips supporting the synopsis. They say never judge a book by its cover but it definitely swayed me in my decision to buy it.

The new girl’s dream as a youngster after reading Harry Potter was to go to a boarding school like Hogwarts. Her parents remembered her dream and years later managed to get her a place at Manderley Academy.

Sent away from the sunshine, beaches and friends of Florida; the new girl arrives in cold New Hampshire to a complete culture shock. Dressed in frayed jean shorts and flip flops she reluctantly hands over her phone; her lifeline to home and starts settles in to her new life at Manderley.

New Girl is told from two points of view and I didn’t once get confused. Sometimes with dual point of views I get confused easily, but New Girl is clearly written, each chapter labelled with who the point of view is from Becca or ‘Me’ (New Girl). Also, because each of the two main characters is very different in their personality, the chapters are easy to read.

I didn’t realise until I got to the end of the book that we hadn’t been told the New Girl’s name. I was a bit shocked when I realised this. I feel that this might have been done on purpose to engross the reader further and maybe ‘we’ the reader were the New Girl.

I’m new to reading contemporary YA, and so far i’m enjoying what I’ve read. New Girl had a bit of mystery in it too and I really enjoyed reading it.

I will say that there are sex references in this book, so it may not be suitable for all YA readers.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love