12 February 2015

Title: Before He Was A Secret (Starstruck #3)
Author: Becky Wicks
Publisher: Becky Wicks Books, (March 9th 2015)
From: eBook from author
Format: ARC e-book 
Add to: Goodreads
Order a copy: Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Amazon UK

NOTE: This is a "New Adult" novel. Due to mature content this title is recommended for ages 17+
Synopsis: “What if we can’t chooseEvery battle we win and loseWhat if we decided years before, to live this life, to fight these warsAnd all the dreams we ever thought were oursWere written in the stars”

Waiting tables isn't exactly what singer/songwriter Stephanie has in mind for her move to Nashville, but memories of the past and a case of writer’s block mean inspiration isn’t coming easy. When brooding pianist Conor Judge opens his mouth in a smoky bar he proves music can heal, and even help you re-write your story, but a history of his own means the one thing he starts to want most is always just out of reach. Stephanie. 

Enter Travis Flynn - an upcoming star who won’t take no for an answer, and a record label intent on helping Stephanie shine, without Conor. As fame comes knocking as hard as the ghosts of their pasts, it soon becomes clear that no matter how hard you might fall in love, having the perfect songs doesn’t always mean perfect harmony.

Review: 4.5 starsNew Adult book- not suitable for younger readers. 

After we met Stephanie Jackson in Before He Was Gone (Starstruck #2); she moved to Nashville to see if she can make it in the music industry and hopefully be able to make some money to send home to her Aunt and brothers.

Conor Judge has lived in Nashville all of his life. He works at his family’s music shop, writes songs and plays at local open mike nights. 

When the two meet they become instant friends through their mutual love of music. What follows could make them chart toppers or a complete flop depending on the input of other people who may or may not upset their happy balance.

This is a great story of friendship and young love. 
Both characters have history. Stephanie’s back story is one of sadness after a tragic accident which caused the death of her parents. Conor’s is one which I wasn’t expecting. He was raised by very religious parents, and his life has been controlled by this. Religion is one subject that a lot of author’s stay away from for fear of offending people. Wicks, covers the subject of religious communities briefly and well in my opinion. I felt sorry for Conor because he has always tried to please his father and do the right thing, but sometimes this has been at the expense of doing what he really wants to. Even his relationship with Stephanie must be kept a secret.

I love the characters in this book; even the background characters- Tal, Lou, E-beth, Indie Pete. We also see the return of Noah and Chloe from Before He Was Famous and also Denzel the demon manager- this guy makes my blood boil, but serious thanks to Becky Wicks for creating someone I can hate so much! 

Also thrown into the mix in Before He Was a Secret is Travis Flynn; the Winner of the Nashville Songwriter of the Year competition, drunk and general playboy. This guy is bound to cause trouble, although at times his intentions do seem genuine. You’ll have to read the book to see whether he really is a bad guy. 

The book is written in dual P.O.V. and this is really easy to follow. It’s nice to get an insight into what both characters are thinking. 

Although Before He Was a Secret is part of the Starstruck series, it can be read as a standalone. 

Before He Was a Secret is a must read for anyone who has read any of the other books in Wick’s Starstruck series and also for fans of Kylie Scott’s Stage Dive series.



Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love