26 March 2015

Title: Lark Singer (The Starlight Chronicles #2)
Author: Lisa Orchard
Publisher: Eskape Press, 123 pages (December 6th 2014)
From: the Author
Format: eBook
Add to: Goodreads
Order a copy: Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Amazon UK

Synopsis: Lark Singer is seventeen years old and already on the way to a brilliant music career. As she and her band, Starlight, gear-up for an upcoming, life-changing band competition, though, life seems to be throwing her a few curve balls.

The mysteries of her past seem to be unravelling, and she’s no longer certain she wants to know those answers, or how knowing about her past will affect her difficult relationship with her mother. And when her best friend, Bean, changes things between them, all her plans for a musical future are placed in jeopardy. How can she balance her unravelling personal life to keep her musical goals on track?

Review: 3 Stars - As the competition draws nearer, Lark and her friends are busy practicing for the competition, playing weekly sets at a local bar/restaurant to build their confidence and have even come up with a name “Starlight”.

Despite the excitement of the competition, Lark still has some worries. Her best friend Bean is being more and more secretive every day, leading Lark to suspect that he has something to hide.

Lark is still on a mission to find out who her father is, a fact that her mother has kept secret all of her life. When she finds photographs in her mother’s closet that show her mother with a young man in her high school days, she knows she has to question it.

After a discussion with her mother about the true identity of her father, Lark and Francine (her mum) start to bond more. This is nice to see as they’ve always been distant with each other.

Apart from us discovering who Lark’s father is, the progression with the band before the competition and Bean’s deception there isn’t a lot of content in this book but it is good for setting up the background details for the next book Starlight. It’s a nice easy, quick read and I look forward to reading what happens next.

Once again beautiful cover art, the colours and the models look great. If I saw this on the shelf or online I would definitely want to give it a read.

The only downside for me of Lark Singer, is that because of the age of the characters there is the over use of the work “Epic”. I know I used it a lot when I was younger and younger readers probably won’t notice it, but it’s one word I could pick out all the way through and over the course of the book it did bug me a bit.








Title: Starlight (The Starlight Chronicles #3)
Author: Lisa Orchard
Publisher: Eskape Press, 150 pages (February 17th 2015)
From: the Author
Format: eBook
Add to: Goodreads
Order a copy: Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Amazon UK

Synopsis: Everything is on track for seventeen-year-old Lark Singer and her band Starlight. They have a great shot at winning the competition that can launch their musical career. But when Lark discovers they will be competing against her old nemesis Duane McIntyre things really heat up. How far will Lark go to win, and what will it cost her in the end?

Review: 4 Stars - Contains spoilers.

The competition is finally here. All the practicing is about to pay off. But why does Lark feel on edge. Her arch nemesis Dwayne McIntyre has been pestering her and trying to psych her out before the competition. He keeps mentioning Bean’s drug problem and wants to take Bean’s place in the band. When Lark realises he’s entering with his own band it all makes sense.

On the night of the competition it’s a very close call but Starlight win. Entry to the American Singer competition is theirs!

What happens next can only be described as heart breaking.

When celebrating the band’s win in the competition, Bean tries drugs from a new supplier and ends up taking an overdose. I had been expecting something to come from this addiction but not this.

Lark’s grief for her best friend/boyfriend is overwhelming, as can be expected. She doesn’t want to eat, she just wants to sleep. Thankfully her renewed bond with her mother helps at this time and she can talk to Francine about things. She also finds comfort in talking to her band mate Stevie.

When Lark goes to pay her respects to Bean’s family, Dwayne is just leaving. I have a feeling he has something to do with Bean’s death; I will keep my true suspicions to myself for now though. Although he has visited Bean’s house, when Lark mentions his name to Brian (Bean’s brother) he has never heard of him. Maybe he knows him under another name? Only time will tell.

Lark receives a file from Brian which has Bean’s lead sheets and lyrics that he has written; this gives Lark the encouragement to carry on.

The question now is will Lark go against her instinct and invite Dwayne to take Bean’s place in the band or will the band fail at the first hurdle?

This book had a lot more content than the previous two books.  A heart breaking tale of young love and loss.

Lisa Orchard covers a lot of subjects well in this book- deception, Lark finding out and meeting her father, death, grief and the aftermath that follows.

I really enjoyed this book and would definitely recommend it to other YA fans.

Starlight has a very pretty cover as well.


Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love